Thursday, September 08, 2016

,

The iPhone 7 prices and launch date in Taiwan

9/08/2016 Taiwan Explorer

Availability in Taiwan

Apple revealed the new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, its most anticipated product of the year, and this year Taiwan happens to be among the first countries that will have the handsets available. The pre-order date is September 9, while the first devices will ship on September 16, that is about a week from today. The new version of the operating system iOS 10, will be available as a free update on September 13 across the globe.

Prices in Taiwan

The US prices will remain the same, while the storage has been doubled from 16GB, 64GB and 128GB in the iPhone 6s generation to 32GB, 128GB and 256GB of the newest iPhone 7 generation. Sounds all well, I thought, but then I saw the prices in Taiwan, and I almost got an heart attack. The iPhone 7 price starts from 24,500 NTD for the base 32 GB model (that is 2000 NTD more expensive as compared to iPhone 6s last year, which started at 22,500 NTD, however it had 16GB storage). The iPhone 7 Plus price starts from 28,900 NTD, that is 3000 NTD more expensive as compared to the iPhone 6s Plus, which started at 25,900 NTD, however it had 16GB storage).



These are the iPhones that will be sold in Taiwan from now on: iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus (with double the storage of previous year), as well as iPhone 5 SE as the entry level to Apple's smartphone range. You can see that the iPhone 6 and 6s got just 1000-2000 NTD cheaper as compared to when they were launched in 2015. That's not much, actually.



You can read my detailed post on the iPhone 6 and 6s pricing in Taiwan.

iPhone 7 Plus 256GB to cost 36,900 NTD!



I'm a big Apple and iPhone fan, but to charge almost 1200 USD in Taiwan for the top model is completely nuts. Yes, you saw that right, the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB will cost 36,900 NTD in Taiwan, while in the US it will cost "only" 969 USD! If you also buy the new AirPods with it (wireless headphones), that cost 5490 NTD, the whole set will cost you over 42,000 NTD! Now that is what I call insane prices. As much as I'd love to get me a 7 Plus, I'm really not sure I'm willing to pay so much money for it. The 6s Plus is serving me well so far.

Check all the specs and images of the iPhone 7 on Apple's website.

Follow my Facebook Page for more updates on Taiwan>>