Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Core Pacific City (Living Mall), Taipei

7/20/2010 Taiwan Explorer

The Core Pacific City 京華城購物中心, also known as Living Mall, is a famous shopping mall in Taipei. The Chinese name "京華城" (Jīng Huá Chéng) mean something like "Bustling capital with city walls (shopping center)". It was built in 2001 and it's one of Taipei's landmarks. The most amazing thing about the building is the design with an L-shaped building, that is partly incorporating a sphere. I have never seen anything like that before. Hats down to the architects, the building is amazing. There are many shops inside, but most of them are not the most expensive brands, you can also find clothes with an affordable price. There's a big food court at the basement floor and popular Cinemax movie theaters, that attract many young people of Taipei. But sadly, the Core Pacific City is not as popular as it used to be. Most people shop in Xinyi, malls like Shin Kong Mitsukoshi or Taipei 101 Mall are much more popular. Don't be surprised, if you see the Living Mall half empty upon your visit.

Let me show you some photos of the Living Mall, 2010:


The Living Mall (or Core Pacific City) is located between Xinyi and Songshan, two districts in the Eastern part of Taipei City. If you want to go to the mall, you can take the MRT to Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall station and then walk north (passing by the Taipei Dome construction site). You will approach an overpass of the railways' tracks. Then you turn right and walk along them. The Living Mall will appear infront of your eyes pretty quickly.

The sphere at dawn.

A lot of plants surround the sphere. This part is like a little park.

Something like a public square with lovely paving near the Living Mall.

Magical, isn't it?

The sphere from close.

A monument in front of the entrance, in the back you can see Taipei 101.

The Living Mall inside: You can see the inner part of the sphere.

Basement floor, with a walkway that goes around the sphere.

There are cinemas here and a lot of food shops.

At the very bottom of the Living Mall, just below the sphere they were selling clothes.

My girlfriend and I played paco hockey here. She won :)

The Living Mall in the evening.

I have fond memories of this mall, because my girlfriend brought me here in the first days after arriving in Taipei. We watched Avatar 3D together and it was an amazing experience. Because I've never been in such unique shopping mall before, I felt it's kinda cool to walk around there, especially inside the sphere. I had a hard time to find my orientation, but I was lucky, because I had a great guide. The best way to visit the mall is to go out at Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall MRT Station Exit 5 and walk for about 15-20 minutes northwards.


View my Taiwan Map in a larger map

Map and useful information

▷ RELATED INFORMATION

Pinyin: Jīnghuá Chéng Gòuwù zhòngxīn
Related website: Homepage
My useful tips: Transportation in Taipei

▷ RELATED POSTS

Songshan Tobacco Factory
Huashan 1914 Creative Park

Always double check my information before use, blogging is just my free time activity; I can't be held liable for any loss, damage or discomfort occurred as a result of using my travel guides | Romanization in Taiwan

▷ BLOG NAVIGATION: Taiwan>> Taipei Travel Page>> Xinyi District>> Living Mall